Justice For Sale; The struggle for a fair trial in The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)
The prosecution of a suspect accused of rape and the struggle of his lawyer for a fair and just trial
The Peace Palace Library will present the award winning documentary film Justice For Sale by Ilse & Femke van Velzen about the failing criminal justice system in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The documentary is spoken in French, Swahili and Lingala with English subtitles.
Dr. Janine Ubink, senior lecturer at the Law Faculty of Leiden University will give an introduction. She is an expert on African law issues and has published extensively on subjects such as customary law, land rights and traditional legal practices.
Femke and Ilse van Velzen are Dutch documentary filmmakers with a special interest in Congo. Their company IF Productions produced the international award winning documentary Weapon of War in 2009. The most recent documentary Justice For Sale was presented at the Movies that Matter Filmfestival in The Hague in March 2012. Their documentaries focus on exposing injustice in developing countries to a worldwide audience in order to give oppressed people a voice.
Read our Interview with Ilse van Velzen in our April Newsletter here.
The program for the evening will be as follows:
17.30 Doors open and coffee
18.00 Opening remarks by Dr. Janine Ubink
18.15 Screening of Justice for Sale
19.35 Q & A with Ilse & Femke van Velzen
To register for this lecture please send an email to
We wish to remind you that you are required to bring a valid ID (passport, driving license). Without an ID, you will not be able to access the Peace Palace.
We would greatly appreciate it if you could attend this event
Director of the Peace Palace Library
Dr. Janine Ubink
For more info click image
A selection of relevant publications from the Peace Palace Library collection
Publications by Dr. Janine Ubink
- The Quest for Customary Law in African State Courts in The future of African Customary Law, New York, NY : Cambridge University Press 2011, P. 83 - 102
- Legalising Customary Land Tenure in Ghana : the Case of Peri-urban Kumasi in Legalising land rights : local practices, state responses and tenure security in Africa, Asia and Latin America, Amsterdam: Leiden University Press 2009, P. 163-191
- In the land of the chiefs : customary law, land conflicts, and the role of the state in peri-urban Ghana, Leiden University Press 2008
- Tenure Security : Wishful Policy Thinking or Reality? : a Case from Peri-Urban Ghana in Journal of African law vol. 51, issue 2, 2007, P. 215-248
Other Relevant Publications
- Autesserre, S., The trouble with the Congo : local violence and the failure of international peacebuilding , New York, NY : Cambridge University Press 2010
- Brouwer, A.M. de, Ko Hon Chu S. and Samer Muscati (eds) , The men who killed me : Rwandan survivors of sexual violence, Vancouver, B.C. ; Douglas & McIntyre 2009
- Dias, N. and R. Gamble, Fair Trial Protections Under International Law : Too Narrow a Canvas in Sri Lanka Journal of International Law, vol. 18, (2006), page 241-270
- Douma, N.and Th. Hilhorst, Fond de commerce? Sexual violence assistance in the Democratic Republic of Congo Wageningen: Wageningen University / 2012 (PDF)
- Jegede, S., The Right to a Fair Trial in International Criminal Law in Protecting humanity : essays in international law and policy in honour of Navanethem Pillay, Leiden : Nijhoff 2010
- Maloney - Dunn, K., Humanizing Terrorism through International Criminal Law : Equal Justice for Victims, Fair Treatment of Suspects, and Fundamental Human Rights at the ICC in Santa Clara Journal of International law vol. 8 (1) 2010, p. 69-86
- Misetic, L., Sacrificing the rights of the accused for the "success" of international criminal justice in The position of the defence at the International Criminal Court and the role of the Netherlands as a host state : Including the proceedings of the Conference held in The Hague, 3-4 November 2000, 2002
- Ngoulou, M., Protection des femmes et des filles victimes de violences sexistes au Congo in La diplomatie civile et humanitaire : la dynamique genre et paix en Afrique, Paris: Harmattan 2008
- Solhjell, R., Sexual Violence in War - Civilians as Battleground in Responses to mass violence - mediation, protection, and prosecution, Uppsala : Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation 2009
- Samset, I., Sexual Violence : the Case of Eastern Congo in The peace in between : post-war violence and peace building, London : Routledge, 2012
- Tonheim, M., “Who Will Comfort Me?" : Stigmatization of Girls Formerly Associated With Armed Forces and Groups in Eastern Congo in The international journal of human rights, vol 16 (2) 2012
- Vries, J., Sexual violence against women in Congo : obstacles and remedies for judicial assistance, Leiden : Stichting NJCM-Boekerij 44
- Wachala, K., The Tools to Combat the War on Women's Bodies : Rape and Sexual Violence Against Women in Armed Conflict in The international journal of human rights, vol 16 (3) 2012