Postcard from the days of the First World War. Translated from Dutch: ‘Did you already see the Peace Palace from the inside?’. On the back: Postcard. Lithography Van de Ven – The Hague. Dated 1914.
The Peace Palace and the First World War
For Andrew Carnegie, the opening of the Peace Palace, on 28 August 1913, was a triumph. He began 1914 with great optimism. In his new year’s wish for that year, he declared himself ‘strong in the faith that international Peace [was] soon to prevail’. History would, as known, take a dramatically different course with the outbreak of the First World War later that year. For the sceptics, this was proof that they had been right: the ‘Temple of Peace’ could not prevent war, and conflicts between States would still be fought on the battlefield.
View this item in our Image collection, click here.
pages: 1 2
A selection of relevant publications from the Peace Palace Library collection
- Garner, J.W., International Law and the World War, 2 vols., London, Longmans, Green and Co, 1920.
- Hankel, G., Die Leipziger Prozesse: Deutsche Kriegsverbrechen und ihre strafrechtliche Verfolgung nach dem Ersten Weltkrieg, Hamburg, Hamburger Edition, 2003.
- Hirschfeld, G., G. Krumeich and I. Renz (eds.), Brill’s Encyclopedia of the First World War, Leiden, Brill, 2012.
- Hirschfeld, G. und G. Krumeich (Hrsg.), Enzyklopädie Erster Weltkrieg, Paderborn, Schöningh, 2009.
- Horne, J.N. and A.R. Kramer, German Atrocities, 1914: A History of Denial, New Haven, Yale University Press, 2001.
- Joll, J.B., The Origins of the First World War, Harlow, Longman, 1984.
- MacMillan, M.O., The War that ended Peace: How Europe abandoned Peace for the First World War, London, Profile Books, 2013.
- Münkler, H., Der Große Krieg: die Welt 1914 bis 1918, Berlin, Rowohlt, 2013.
- Phillipson, C., International Law and the Great War, London, Fisher Unwin; Sweet and Maxwell, 1915.
- Pöhlmann, M., J.S. Corum and G. Hirschfeld (eds.), Brill’s Encyclopedia of the First World War, Leiden, Brill, 2012.
- Stevenson, D., 1914-1918: the History of the First World War, London, Penguin, 2005.
- Storey, W.K., The First World War: a Concise Global History, Lanham, MD, Rowman & Littlefield, 2009.