On December 4, the City of The Hague and the recently founded Water Diplomacy Consortium (WDC) will organize a seminar on International Water Conflicts. The WDC offers advisory services to governments and public entities at all levels, training and capacity building, knowledge exchange, advice on conflict resolution methods, direct assistance as an honest broker in conflict resolution and on post-conflict peacebuilding in and through the water sector, research, publications and the organization of conferences. The seminar will take place in the Peace Palace on December 4 at 16.00 hrs.
The seminar starts at 16.00 with the reception of the participants and coffee and tea. The programme starts at 16.30 with four presentations:
- ‘The role of water diplomacy in preventing water conflicts’ by Mariska Heijs (Clingendael)
- ‘Mediation in the Israeli/Palestinian water conflict by Patrick Huntjens (The Hague Institute for Global Justice
- ‘Water diplomacy research and education at UNESCO – IHE, with Central Asia as a case example’ by Joop de Schutter (UNESCO – IHE)
- ‘The importance of good water governance’ by Maarten Hofstra (Water Governance Centre).
After the presentations there is room for discussion. Henk van Schaik (UPeace Centre The Hague) will chair the seminar. The seminar ends at 18.15 with drinks & bites.
Please register for this event by sending an email to Jacqueline van Tol of the Water Governance Centre (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the 1st of December.
Please be aware that you need to bring a valid identity card for the entrance to the Peace Palace. We hope to see you on the 4th of December in the Peace Palace.
The Water Diplomacy Consortium
A selection of relevant publications from the Peace Palace Library collection
- Abukhater, A., Water as a Catalyst for Peace: Transboundary Water Management and Conflict Resolution, London, Earthscan, 2013.
- Boisson de Chazournes, L., C. Leb and M. Tignino (eds.), International Law and Freshwater: The Multiple Challenges, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar, 2013.
- Chellaney, B., Water, Peace and War: Confronting the Global Water Crisis, Lanham, MD, Rowman and Littlefield, 2013.
- Cosens, B. (ed.), Transboundary River Governance in the Face of Uncertainty: The Columbia River Treaty, Corvallis, OR, Oregon State University Press, 2012.
- Jacobs, I.M., The Politics of Water in Africa: Norms, Environmental Regions and Transboundary Cooperation in the Orange-Senqu and Nile Rivers, London , Continuum, 2012.
- Leb, C., Cooperation in the Law of Transboundary Water Resources, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Rocha Loures, F., The UN Watercourses Convention in Force, London, Routledge, 2013.
- Sultana, F. and A. Loftus (eds.), The Right to Water: Politics, Governance and Social Struggles, London, Earthscan, 2012.
- Summitt, A.R., Contested Waters: an Environmental History of the Colorado River, Boulder, CO, University Press of Colorado, 2013.
- Vajpeyi, D. (ed.), Water Resource Conflicts and International Security: A Global Perspective, Lanham, MD, Lexington Books, 2012.
- Wirsing, R.G., D.C. Stoll and C. Jasparro, International Conflict over Water Resources in Himalayan Asia, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Woldetsadik, T.K., International Watercourses Law in the Nile Basin: Three States at a Crossroads, London, Routledge, 2013.