12 December 2016 – Sworn in today as the ninth and next United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres pledged to reposition development at the centre of the Organization’s work and ensure that the UN can change to effectively meet the myriad challenges facing the international community. “The United Nations needs to be nimble, efficient and effective. It must focus more on delivery and less on process; more on people and less on bureaucracy,” said Mr. Guterres after taking the oath of office at a ceremony before the 193-member UN General Assembly.
Mr. Guterres, a former Prime Minister of Portugal (1995 to 2002) and former UN High Commissioner for Refugees (2005-2015) took the oath of office following the Assembly’s tribute to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who steps down at the end of the month after leading the global Organization for the past 10 years.
A selection of relevant publications from the Peace Palace Library collection
UNITED NATIONS BOOKS
- Biersteker, T.J. (et al.) (eds.), Targeted Sanctions : the Impacts and Effectiveness of United Nations Action, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2016.
- Deplano, R.,The Strategic use of International Law by the United Nations Security Council: an Empirical Study, Cham, Springer, 2015.
- Finizio, G., and E. Gallo (eds.), Democracy at the United Nations:UN Reform in the Age of Globalisation, Brussels, Lang, 2013.
- Genser, J., and B. Stagno Ugarte (eds.), The United Nations Security Council in the Age of Human Rights, New York, NY, Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- Hassler, S., Reforming the UN Security Council Membership: The Illusion of Representativeness, London, Routledge, 2013.
- Schwartzberg, J.E., Transforming the United Nations System: Designs for a Workable World, Tokyo, United Nations University Press, 2013.
- Popovski, V., and T. Fraser (eds.), The Security Council as Global Legislator, London, Routledge, 2014.
- Vreeland, J.R., and A. Dreher, The Political Economy of the United Nations Security Council: Money and Influence, New York, NY, Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- Weinlich, S., The UN Secretariat's Influence on the Evolution of Peacekeeping, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Weiss, T.G. (et al.), The United Nations and Changing World Politics (7th ed.), Boulder, CO, Westview Press, 2013.