4 April 2017 – United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres today said that he is “deeply disturbed” by reports of alleged use of chemical weapons in an airstrike in the Khan Shaykhun area of southern Idlib, Syria. In a statement from his spokesperson, the Secretary-General expressed heartfelt condolences to the victims of the incident and their families. He noted that the UN Security Council affirmed that the use of chemical weapons “constitutes a serious violation of international law” and runs counter to resolutions passed by the 15-member body.
Read more, here.
The Syrian civil war is an ongoing multi-sided armed conflict in Syria in which international interventions have taken place. Violence has escalated amid an absence of meaningful efforts to end the war. Individuals and units are believed to be responsible for crimes against humanity, breaches of international humanitarian law and gross human rights violations. We have created a Library special on this topic in order to provide you easy access to our collection.
Another feature is a bibliographic survey on the Syria crisis, intended to provide information for international lawyers and law students on materials concerning the current crisis in Syria. The survey is exclusively based on materials available in the Peace Palace Library, The Hague. It includes books, articles, book-items, inaugural lectures, dissertations and reports, both in print and electronic format. Items are listed only once, under their most appropriate heading.
Choix de bibliothécaire
A selection of relevant publications from the Peace Palace Library collection
- Gartenstein-Ross, D., N. Barr and B. Moreng, The Islamic State's Global Propaganda Strategy, The Hague, International Centre for Counter-Terrorism, 2016.
- Gerlach, D., Herrschaft über Syrien: Macht und Manipulation unter Assad, Hamburg, Edition Körber-Stiftung, 2015.
- Goldsmith, L.T., Cycle of Fear: Syria's Alawites in War and Peace, London, Hurst & Company, 2015.
- Seufert, G. (hg.), Der Aufschwung kurdischer Politik: zur Lage der Kurden in Irak, Syrien und der Türkei, Berlin, Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik, Deutsches Institut für Internationale Politik und Sicherheit, 2015.
- Steinberg, G., Kalifat des Schreckens: IS und die Bedrohung durch den islamistischen Terror, München, Knaur, 2015.