Kofi A. Annan, one of the world's most celebrated diplomats and a charismatic symbol of the UN passed away peacefully on Saturday in Bern, Switzerland. He was 80 years old. Annan passed away after a short illness. The Ghanaian top diplomat was the seventh Secretary-General and served for two terms between 1997 and 2006. He was awarded the Nobel peace prize for his humanitarian work jointly with the UN as an organisation in 2001.
Kofi Annan will be remembered as the man who pushed for reform to rebuild the United Nations and make it more effective. He brought the United Nations to the 21st century, leading concerted efforts against poverty, diseases, as well as peacekeeping efforts. Annan embodied the ideals of global development community and was constantly seeking greater stability and prosperity for the world and the best of humanity. The world has lost a charismatic man, dedicated to making the world a better place for all!
Kofi Annan has written and contributed to several publications. The Peace Palace Library has created a bibliographic overview on his works.
- Annan, K.A., "Two Concepts of Sovereignty", in Bellamy, A.J., Humanitarian Intervention, 3, 2017, pp. 3-6.
- Annan, K.A., "Learning the Lessons of Peacebuilding", in Hume, J. (ed.), Peacemaking in the Twenty-First Century, Manchester, Manchester University Press, pp. 100-108, 2014.
- Annan, K.A., We the Peoples : a UN for the 21st Century, Boulder, London, Paradigm Publishers, 2014.
- Annan, K.A., "The Peacekeeping Prescription", in Cahill, K.M., History and Hope : the International Humanitarian Reader, New York, NY, The Center for International Humanitarian, pp. 208-221, 2013.
- Annan, K.A., Interventions : a Life in War and Peace, London, Allen Lane, 2012.
- Annan, K.A., Meeting the Challenges of a Changing World, New York, NY, United Nations, 2006.
- Annan, K.A., "The Global Humanitarian Forum", in International Geneva Yearbook, Geneva, 20 (2008), pp. 1-5.
- Annan, K.A., "The United Nations builds Partnership for a Better World", in Hunnicutt, S.C., The United Nations, Detroit, MI, Greenhaven Press pp. 11-20, 2007.
- Annan, K.A., "Toward a New Definition of Sovereignty", in Reichberg, G.M., The Ethics of War : Classic and Contemporary Readings, Malden, MA, Blackwel, pp. 683-693, 2006.
- Annan, K.A., Dans une liberté plus grande : développement, sécurité et respect des droits de l'homme pour tous : rapport du Secrétaire général, New York, NY, Nations Unies, 2005.
- Annan, K.A., In Larger Freedom : Towards Development, Security and Human Rights for All : report of the Secretary-General, New York, NY, United Nations, 2005.
- Annan, K.A., Prevention of Armed Conflict : report of the Secretary-General, New York, United Nations, 2002.
- Annan, K.A., Preventing War and Disaster : a Growing Global Challenge, New York, NY, United Nations Department of Public Information, 1999.
- Annan, K.A., Facing the Humanitarian Challenge : Towards a Culture of Prevention, United Nations, Department of Public Information, 1999.
- Annan, K.A., The quotable Kofi Annan : selections from speeches and statements by the Secretary-General, New York, NY : United Nations Department of Public Information, 1998.
See for more publications the Peace Palace Library Catalogue.