On 15 August 1905 the “Programme of the Competition for the Architectural Plan of the Peace Palace for the use of the Permanent Court of Arbitration with a Library” was sent out all over the world. The competition was open to all. On the closing day, 15 April 1906, no less than 216 plans had been submitted, covering a total of more than 3.000 drawings.
The fifth-prize winning design by Greenley & Olin of New York met much acclaim, but also encountered some criticism. It was actually the only American plan that was out of the very ordinary and indeed almost resembling the French style. In its most favourable comment, the jury stated that ‘the exterior is greatly to be praised both for simplicity and for suitability of character. But the round ends of the principal façade injure this effect, and the room of the Administrative Council on one side and a series of smaller rooms on the other are lighted only from beneath colonnades. The plan is well studied and is distinguished from most of the other plans by a notable economy of space‘. With minor adjustments this plan could well have served its ends. (Eyffinger, A.C.G.M., The Peace Palace: Residence for Justice, Domicile of Learning, The Hague, Carnegie Foundation, 1988, pag. 63-75)
(No. 79 Q)