The 'Kosovo Specialist Chambers & Specialist Prosecutor's Office' are tasked with the prosecution of individuals for crimes against humanity, war crimes and other crimes under Kosovo law which occurred between 1 January 1998 and 31 December 2000 in Kosovo.
The Specialist Chambers have their own set of unique features including, but not limited to, the following elements:
- The Specialist Chambers have been established with the involvement of the EU(LEX)
- They are established by Kosovo national law and are part of the Kosovo judicial system, albeit in a different location (The Hague, The Netherlands)
- The Specialist Chambers operate alongside the Kosovo domestic juridical system, replicating each level of the court system in Kosovo from a pre-trial Judge to a Basic Court Chamber, a Court of Appeals Chamber, a Supreme Court Chamber and a Constitutional Court Chamber
- They are composed of solely international personnel, including judges, investigators and interpreters
- They apply Kosovo domestic law and customary international law