International Commercial Law
International commercial law is a body of applicable rules, principles and customary practices that govern cross-border commercial activities of private parties. As such, international commercial law is part of private international law, while its international trade law counterpart, governing the trade relations between States, is part of international economic law, which is a branch of public international law. As rules, principles and customary practices applicable to cross-border transactions differ among cultures, there is a strong tendency for harmonization and unification of these.
This Research Guide is intended as a starting point for research on International Commercial Law. It provides the basic legal materials available in the Peace Palace Library, both in print and electronic format. Handbooks, leading articles, bibliographies, periodicals, serial publications and documents of interest are presented in the Selective Bibliography section. Links to the PPL Catalogue are inserted. The Library's systematic classification → Public international law and subject heading (keyword) International Commercial Law are instrumental for searching through the Catalogue. Special attention is given to our subscriptions on databases, e-journals, e-books and other electronic resources. Finally, this Research Guide features links to relevant websites and other online resources of particular interest.
- Béguin, J. et M. Menjucq (eds.), Droit du commerce international, Paris, LexisNexis, 2010.
- Berlingieri, F., International Maritime Conventions: Volume I: The Carriage of Goods and Passengers by Sea, Abingdon, Informa Law from Routledge, 2014.
- Chatillon, S., Droit des affaires internationales, Paris, Vuibert, 2011.
- Dalhuisen, J.H., Dalhuisen on Transnational Comparative, Commercial, Financial and Trade law, Oxford, Hart, 2013.
- Esplugues Mota, C.A. (dir.), Derecho del Comercio Internacional, Valencia, Tirant lo Blanch, 2011.
- Fernández Rozas, J.C. (et al.) (eds.), Derecho de los Negocios Internacionales, Madrid, Lustel, 2011.
- Galgano, F. e F. Marrella, Diritto del Commercio Internazionale, Padova, CEDAM, 2011.
- Kessedjian, C., Droit du commerce international, Paris, Presses Universitaires de France, 2013.
- Barbou des Places, S. (ed.), Protectionnisme et droit de l'Union européenne, Paris, Pedone, 2014.
- Cachard, O., Droit du Commerce International, Paris, L.G.D.J., 2011.
- Dabbah, M.M. and K.P.E. Lasok (eds.), Merger Control Worldwide, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Davies, M. and D.V. Snyder, International Transactions in Goods : Global Sales in Comparative Context, New York, Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Ezrachi, A.(ed.), Research Handbook on International Competition Law, Cheltenham, Elgar, 2012.
- Fernández Rozas, J.C., R. Arenas García and P.A. de Miguel Asensio, Derecho de los Negocias Internacionales, Madrid, Iustel, 2011.
- Folsom, R.H., International Business Transactions : a Problem-oriented Coursebook, St. Paul, MN, West, 2012.
- Jessen, H. and Werner, M.J. (eds.), EU Maritime Transport Law (Brussels Commentary), München, C.H. Beck, 2016.
Messent, A. and Glass, D.A., CMR: Contracts for the International Carriage of Goods by Road, Abingdon, Oxon, Informa Law from Routledge, 2018.
- Ramberg, J., International Commercial Transactions, Paris, ICC, 2011.
Schilling, J., Das internationale Privatrecht der Transportverträge: die Bestimmung des Beförderungsvertragsstatuts im Spannungsfeld von Art. 5 Rom I-VO und materiellem Einheitstransportrecht, Tübingen, Mohr Siebeck, 2016.
- Saerens, P. and W. Pissoort, Droit Commercial International, Bruxelles, Larcier, 2013.
- Tully, S., International Corporate Legal Responsibility, Alphen aan den Rijn, Kluwer Law International, 2012.
- Wetzel, J. R.-M., Human Rights in Transnational Business: Translating Human Rights Obligations into Compliance Procedures, Cham, Springer, 2016.
- Vieillar, G., La contribution de la Commission des Nations Unies pour le droit commercial international (CNUDCI) à l'harmonisation et l'uniformisation du droit commercial international, Dijon, Université de Bourgogne, 2014.
- Baratta,R., "La Politica Commerciale Comune dopo il Trattato di Lisbona", Diritto del Commercio Internazionale, 26 (2012), No.2, pp. 403-421.
- Buszewski, S.E., "Unternehmen und Internationale Menschenrechte", Humanitäres Völkerrecht, 25 (2012), No. 4, pp. 201-209.
- Cunibert, G., "Three Theories of Lex Mercatoria", Columbia Journal of Transnational Law, 52 (2014), No. 2, pp. 369-434.
- Gabriel, H.D., Toward Universal Principles: The Use of Non-Binding Principles in International Commercial Law (Professor Dr. Bruno Zeller Festschrift), International Trade and Business Law review, 17 (2014), No. 1, pp. 241-260.
- Ewelukwa, N., "Is Africa Ready for Electronic Commerce? : a Critical Appraisal of the Legal Framework for Ecommerce in Africa", European Journal of Law Reform, 13 (2011), No. 3-4, pp. 550-576.
- Ferrari, F. and Gillette, C.P. (eds.), International Sales Law, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2017.
- Mazzacano, P.J., "The Autonomous Nature of the Lex Mercatoria", The Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law and Arbitration, 16 (2012), pp. 71-82.
- Rasche, R., "The United Nations and Transnational Corporations : How the UN Global Compact has changed the Debate, in Lawrence, J.T., and P.W. Beamish (eds.), Globally responsible leadership : managing according to the UN Global Compact, Los Angeles, SAGE, 2013, pp. 33-49.
- Sabatelli, E., "E-Commerce", in: E.Sabatelli, Manuale di diritto commerciale internazionale, Milano, Giuffrè, 2012, pp. 226-245.
- Vareilles-Sommières de, P., "Autonomie et ordre public dans les Principes de la Haye sur le choix de la loi applicable aux contrats commerciaux internationaux", Journal du droit international, 143 (2016), No. 2, pp. 409-453.
- Vareilles-Sommières de, P., "Notes on an Unstable Couple: Party Autonomy and Public Policy in the Hague Principles on Choice of Law in International Commercial Contracts", Yearbook of Private International Law (2017), pp. 49-82.
- Cheng, C.-J. (ed.), Basic documents on international trade law, 3rd ed., The Hague : Kluwer Law International, 1999
- Goode, R. (et al.), Transnational commercial law : international instruments and commentary, 2012.
- Goode, R. (et al.) (eds.), Transnational Commercial Law : Primary Materials, Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2007
- Wiggers, W.J.H. (ed.), International Commercial Law : Source Materials : Corporate Governance ... INCOTERMS 2000, 2nd ed., Alphen aan den Rijn : Kluwer Law International, 2007
Periodicals, serial publications
- International Contract Adviser (Online)
- Law & Policy in International Business
- Nordic Journal of Commercial Law
- Revue de droit des affaires internationales = International business law journal
- Schriften zum internationalen Gesellschaftsrecht
- Transnational Business and Corporate Culture : Problems and Opportunities
- Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law & Arbitration (Online)
Systematic classification → Public international law
1. Evolving Innovation Paradigms and the Global Intellectual Property Regime
Keywords: World Intellectual Property Organization, World Trade Organization, TRIPS Agreement (Marrakesh, 15 April 1994), Intellectual property,
2. Open Innovation in Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
Keywords: United States of America, World Trade Organization, TRIPS Agreement (Marrakesh, 15 April 1994), International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (Rome, 3 November 2001), Innovation, Food, Agriculture, Patents, Intellectual property,
3. Die kollisionsrechtliche Anknüpfung kaufmännischer Vollmachten nach Art. 8 EGBGB
Keywords: Germany, Procuration, Contractual obligations, Choice of law, Private international law,
4. Der Kommissionsvorschlag zum Internationalen Privatrecht der Drittwirkung von Zessionen
Keywords: European Union, Assignment, Habitual residence, Third parties, Regulation (EC) No 593/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 June 2008 on the law applicable to contractual obligations (Rome I), European private law,
5. The Refugee Clause for Commercial Shipping Contracts: Why Allocation of Rescue Costs Is Critical during Period of Mass Migration at Sea
Keywords: International maritime law, International shipping contracts, Safety of life at sea, Refugees, Search and rescue,
6. Is the Presumption of Corporate Impunity Dead?
Keywords: United States of America, Public companies, Human rights, Alien Tort Claims Act, Corporate responsibility, Civil liability, Criminal liability, International criminal law,
Rogers, A., Chuah, J. and Dockray, M., Cases and Materials on the Carriage of Goods by Sea (4th ed.), London, Routledge, 2016.View this title in our link resolver Plinklet
Combining a collection of legislative materials, commentaries, scholarly articles, standard forms and up-to-date English case law, this book covers the major areas of chartering and bills of lading as well as matters such as exclusion and limitation of liability. Significant innovations for this edition include: Materials on the Rotterdam and Hamburg Rules, and expanded discussion of the Hague Visby Rules and Charterparties Discussion of some of the most important decisions by the senior courts. Pedagogical features such as end of chapter further reading. Emphasis on how shipping law operates and is applied in the real world.
Ferrari, F. and Gillette, C.P. (eds.), International Sales Law, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2017.View this title in our link resolver Plinklet
This authoritative collection presents carefully selected scholarly articles that describe and examine the principles of international sales law, as set forth in the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG). These seminal pieces reflect various viewpoints of authors from different countries and legal systems, and offer a range of distinct methodological approaches to legal analysis. Together with an original introduction by the editors, these volumes provide the reader with both an international and an interdisciplinary perspective on the CISG and its application.
Gillette, C.P. and Walt, S.D., The UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods: Theory and Practice, New York, Cambridge University Press, 2016.View this title in our link resolver Plinklet
Updated and expanded for the second edition, this volume provides attorneys, academics and students with a detailed yet accessible overview of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG). Adopted by more than eighty nations and governing a significant portion of international sales, the CISG regulates contract formation, performance, risk of loss, conformity to contractual requirements and remedies for breach. This volume explains the CISG doctrines and their ambiguities, and appraises the extent to which the doctrines reduce transaction costs for commercial actors. Its topic-based approach will be ideal for those pursuing academic analysis or subject-specific research.
Toth, O., Lex Mercatoria in Theory and Practice, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2017.View this title in our link resolver Plinklet
The book offers a theoretically justified and pragmatic concept of the so-called 'lex mercatoria' contributing to the debate concerning the existence of this law as an autonomous, a-national and universal legal system established by trade practice. It argues that a rule of the lex mercatoria is established if there is a majority congruent behaviour within a business community followed out of fear of criticism and a willingness to criticize others in case of deviation. This two-element test increases legal certainty and potentially reduces the time and costs of proving the rule. Case studies are included to illustrate the practical implications of the analysis and more difficult issues such as burden of proof, admissible evidence and the role of written harmonization measures are also considered. The approach adopted in the book reduces the elusiveness of the concept and offers an analysis which makes the lex mercatoria clearer for scholars and more attractive for practitioners.
On Thursday November 5th the Peace Palace Library, in cooperation with the Netherlands Society of International Affairs / Club Clingendael, organized ‘Trade Talks’. About 120 people attended the evening, hearing lectures and participating in discussions on international trade and the present negotiations of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) agreement between the European Union (EU) and the United States of America (USA).Read more
- Bibliotheque du Commerce international (Glossaire)
- Guide on the Harmonization of International Commercial Law, by Duncan Alford
- Hors Série Vol XIX, 2015 - Trade Development through Harmonization of Commercial Law
- Revised Guide to International Trade Law Sources on the Internet, by M. Hoffman
- UNCITRAL Database