International business transactions are described in the form of an international contract, containing the objective(s) and commitments of each of the parties involved and the terms which govern the transaction. When parties from different countries enter into a contract, they are governed by international contract law unless they agree to abide by the laws of one of the countries. International contract law is a branch of private international law. This type of law is frequently applied to as international sales law. International sales contracts are governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG) from 1980. The purpose of the CISG is to provide a regime for contracts for the international sale of goods. The Convention is developed to promote commercial exchanges between private parties. In history, merchants developed their own sort of international contract law. Traders wanted to deal despite differences in languages, culture and laws developed their own code for international transactions. These rules have evolved into the contract laws of today.
This Research Guide is intended as a starting point for research on International Contracts. It provides the basic legal materials available in the Peace Palace Library, both in print and electronic format. Handbooks, leading articles, bibliographies, periodicals, serial publications and documents of interest are presented in the Selective Bibliography section. Links to the PPL Catalogue are inserted. The Library's systematic classification → Private International Law and subject heading (keyword) International Contracts are instrumental for searching through the Catalogue. Special attention is given to our subscriptions on databases, e-journals, e-books and other electronic resources. Finally, this Research Guide features links to relevant websites and other online resources of particular interest.
- Bortolotti, F., Drafting and Negotiating International Commercial Contracts: a Practical Guide, Paris, International Chamber of Commerce, 2008.
- Dawwas, A.R.R., Šarḥ mabādi al-Yunīdrwā li-uqūd al-tiǧāra al-duwaliyya (2010), Commentary on the UNIDROIT Principles on International Commercial Contracts (2010),Bayrūt, Manšūrāt al-Ḥalabī al-Ḥuqūqiyya, 2 Volumes, 2017.
- Reithmann, C. and Martiny, D. (eds.) Internationales Vertragsrecht: das internationale Privatrecht der Schuldverträge, Köln, Ottoschmidt Linde, 2015.
- Vogenauer, S. (ed.), Commentary on the UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts (PICC), Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2015.
- Witz, W., International Einheitliches Kaufrecht: Praktiker-Kommentar und Vertragsgestaltung zum CISG, Frankfurt am Main: Fachmedien Recht und Wirtschaft, 2016.
- Başak Başoğlu (ed.), The Effects of Financial Crises on the Binding Force of Contracts - Renegotiation, Rescission or Revision, Cham: Springer, 2016.
- Bonell, M.J. and Meyer, O., The Impact of Corruption in International Commercial Contracts, Cham: Springer 2015.
- Chow, D.C.K. and T.J. Schoenbaum, International Business Transactions : Problems, Cases and Materials, New York, Wolters Kluwer, 2010.
- Collins, D., An Introduction to International Investment Law, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- Ferrari, F., Rome I Regulation: Pocket Commentary, Munich, Sellier European Law Publishers, 2015.
- Gilette, C.P., UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods Theory and Practice, New York, Cambridge University Press, 2016.
- Hartley, T.C., International Commercial Litigation: Text, Cases and Materials on Private International Law, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015.
- Mitkidis, K.P., Sustainability Clauses in International Business Contracts, The Hague: Eleven International Publishing, 2015.
- Munoz, E., Modern Law of Contracts and Sales in Latin America, Spain and Portugal, The Hague, Eleven International Publishing, 2011.
- Pannebakker, E., Letter of Intent in International Contracting, Cambridge: Intersentia, 2016.
- Plender, R. and Wilderspin, M., The European Private International Law of Obligations, London, Sweet & Maxwell, 2015.
- Scharaw, B., The Protection of Foreign Investments in Mongolia's Treaties, Domestic Law, and Contracts on Investments, Cham: Springer, 2018.
- Zheng, S.T., Electronic Consumer Contracts in the Conflicts of Law, Hart Publishing, 2015.
- Arenas García, R., "La formación de los contratos internacionales", in: María Ángeles Parra Lucán (ed.), Negociación y perfección de los contratos, Cizur Menor, Aranzadi, 2014, pp. 527-597.
- Mainguy, D., "Contract Negociation and Formation", Revue de Droit des Affaires Internationales = International Business Law Journal, Vol. 6, 2017, pp. 563-581.
- Martiny, D., "Die Haager Principles on Choice of Law in International Commercial Contracts : eine weitere Verankerung der Parteiautonomie", Rabels Zeitschrift fur Auslandisches und Internationales Privatrecht, 79 (2015), No. 3, pp. 624-653.
- Ogunranti, A., "The Hague Principles - a new Dawn for Developing Countries", in Nederlands internationaal privaatrecht : repertorium op verdragenrecht, wetgeving, literatuur en rechtspraak, 2017, Vol. 35, pp. 727-747.
- Osman, F., "Rapport de Synthese, Droit Civil et Common Law des Contrats, Vers une Cohabitation Executive", Revue de Droit des Affaires Internationales= International Business Journal, Vol. 6, 2017, pp. 669-676.
- Siwy, A., "Contract claims and Treaty Claims", in Baltag, C. (ed.) ICSID Convention after 50 Years : Unsettled Issues, Alphen aan den Rijn: Kluwer Law International B.V., 2017, pp. 209-225.
- Vareilles-Sommières de, P., "Autonomie et ordre public dans les Principes de la Haye sur le choix de la loi applicable aux contrats commerciaux internationaux", Journal du droit international, 143 (2016), No. 2, pp. 409-453.
- Principles on Choice of Law in International Commercial Contracts approved by the Hague Conference on Private International Law on 19 March 2015 = Principes Sur le Choix de la loi Applicable Aux Contrats Commerciaux Internationaux approuvé par la Conférence de la Haye de droit international privé le 19 mars 2015, 20 (2015), Uniform Law Review, No.2-3, pp. 362-489.
- UN-Kaufrecht (IHK Berlin)
- Wiggers, W.J.H. (ed.), International Commercial Law: Source Materials, The Hague, Kluwer Law International, 2001.
Periodicals, serial publications
Seems like there are no recent acquisitions right now''.
UNCITRAL Rotterdam Rules
Following the adoption of the UNCITRAL Model Law on Electronic Commerce at its twenty-ninth session in 1996, the United Nations Commission on Trade Law (UNCITRAL) considered, as part of the Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) project, a proposal to include in its work programme a review of current practices and laws in the area of the international carriage of goods by sea, with a view to establishing the need for uniform rules where no such rules existed and with a view to achieving greater uniformity of laws.Read more
- CISG Database
- CISG Online
- Contract Principles
- International Contract and Competition Law in Internet Matters, by M.Roth
- International Contract Drafting : a Complex Headache, by Andrew Dat
- What Is International Contract Law?
- UNILEX on CISG and UNIDROIT Principles : International Case Law and Bibliography
More Research guides on Private International Law
- Intellectual Property
- International Commercial Law
- International Family Law
- Private International Law