Comparative Law is the study of the relationship between legal systems or between rules of more than one system, their differences and similarities. Comparative Law is a method of comparing legal systems, and such comparison produces results relating to the different legal cultures being analysed. Comparative Law also plays a role in a better understanding of foreign legal systems. In this age of globalization and the complexity and intertwinement of international public and private law, it plays an increasing important role in international harmonization and unification of laws, thereby leading to more international cooperation and a better world order. Legislators increasingly make use of foreign law in drafting new legislation and in more and more countries courts draw inspiration from abroad as well. The increasing importance of comparing legal systems is true not only for the academic discipline of Comparative Law as such (where the focus is usually on methodology), but also for specific areas of law.
This Research Guide is intended as a starting point for research on Comparative Law. It provides the basic legal materials available in the Peace Palace Library, both in print and electronic format. Handbooks, leading articles, bibliographies, periodicals, serial publications and documents of interest are presented in the Selective Bibliography section. Links to the PPL Catalogue are inserted. The Library's systematic classification → Comparative law and subject heading (keyword) Comparative Law are instrumental for searching through the Catalogue. Special attention is given to our subscriptions on databases, e-journals, e-books and other electronic resources. Finally, this Research Guide features links to relevant websites and other online resources of particular interest.
- David, R. (et al.) , International Encyclopedia of Comparative Law, The Hague, Nijhoff, 1972.
- Reimann, M. and R. Zimmerman, The Oxford Handbook of Comparative Law, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Smits, J.M. (ed.), Elgar Encyclopedia of Comparative Law, Cheltenham, Elgar, 2012.
- Zweigert, K. and H. Kötz, Introduction to Comparative Law, Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1987.
- Butler, W.E. and O.V. Kresin and I.S. Shemshuchenko (eds.), Foundations of Comparative Law : Methods and Typologies, London, Wildy, Simmonds & Hill, 2011.
- Danner, R. and M. Bernal (eds.), Introduction to Foreign Legal Systems, New York, Oceana Publications, 1994.
- David, R., Les grands systèmes de droit contemporains, Paris, Dalloz, 2002.
- De Cruz, P., Comparative Law in a Changing World, London, Routledge-Cavendish, 2007.
- Ginsburg, T. and R. Dixon (eds.), Comparative Constitutional Law, Cheltenham, Elgar, 2011.
- Glendon, M.A., Comparative Legal Traditions in a Nutshell, St. Paul, MN, Thomson West, 2008.
- Harding, A. (ed.), Comparative Law in the 21st Century, London, The Hague, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002.
- Hay, P., R.J. Weintraub and P.J. Borchers (eds.), Comparative Conflict of Laws: Conventions, Regulations and Codes, New York, Thomson Reuters/Foundation Press, 2009.
- Heringa, A.V. and P. Kiiver, Constitutions Compared : An Introduction to Comparative Constitutional Law, Antwerp, Intersentia, 2009.
- Legeais, R., Grands systèmes de droit contemporains : approche comparative, Paris, Lexis Nexis Litec, 2008.
- Legrand, P., Le droit comparé, Paris, Presses universitaires de France (PUF), 2009.
- Merryman, J.H., and R. Perez-Perdomo, The Civil Law Tradition : An Introduction to the Legal Systems of Europe and Latin America, Stanford, CA, Stanford University Press, 2007.
- Nweze, C.C. and C.N. Okeke, Contemporary Issues on Public International and Comparative Law : Essays in Honor of Professor Christian Nwachukwu Okeke, Lake Mary, FL, Vandeplas, 2009.
- Reiman, M. and R. Zimmermann (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Comparative Law, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Riles, A. (ed.), Rethinking the Masters of Comparative Law, Oxford, Hart, 2001.
- Mattei, U. (et al.), Schlesinger’s Comparative Law : Cases, Text, Materials, New York, NY, Thomson Reuters/Foundation Press, 2009.
- Sharma, G. (ed.), An Introduction to Legal Systems of the World, New Delhi, Deep & Deep, 2008.
- Zweigert, K. and H. Kötz, Introduction to Comparative Law, Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1998.
- Schacherreiter, J., “Das Verhängnis von Ethnozentrismus und Kulturrelativismus in der Rechtsvergleichung: Ursachen, Ausprägungsformen und Strategien zur Überwindung”, Rabels Zeitschrift für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht, 77 (2013), No. 2, pp. 272-299.
Periodicals, serial publications
- African Journal of International and Comparative Law
- American Journal of Comparative Law
- Arizona Journal of International and Comparative Law
- Asian Journal of Comparative Law
- Boletin Mexicano de Derecho Comparado
- Boston College International and Comparative Law Review
- Comparative Law Yearbook of International Business
- Electronic Journal of Comparative Law
- Elgar Encyclopedia of Comparative Law
- The Comparative and International Law Journal of Southern Africa
- International Encyclopedia of Comparative Law
- Journal of Comparative Law
- Modern Legal Systems Encyclopedia
- Oxford University Comparative Law Forum
- Rabels Zeitschrift für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht
- Revue de droit international et de droit comparé
- Revue internationale de droit comparé
- Zeitschrift für Rechtsvergleichung
- Zeitschrift für vergleichende Rechtswissenschaft
- Butler, W.E., "Bibliography : Publications of the Ukrainian Association of Comparative Law", in : Foundations of Comparative Law : Methods and Typologies, London, Wildy, Simmonds and Hill, 2011, pp. 337-345.
Systematic classification → Municipal law and comparative law
1. Arbitraje comercial y derecho concursal
Keywords: Argentina, Commercial arbitration, Insolvency law, Comparative law, International commercial arbitration, International insolvency law,
2. Landscape and Taxation: the Minor Instruments
Keywords: European Union, United States of America, Landscape, Taxation, Pollution charges, Environmental protection, Comparative law, Environmental law, Environmental policy,
3. Tafsīr al-tašrīʻāt
Keywords: Egypt, United Arab Emirates, Legal hermeneutics and legal interpretation, Interpretation, General Principles of law, Comparative law,
- Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law, Comparative Law: Functions and Methods, by Peter de Cruz
(Judicial) Constitutional Review in the Netherlands: A Comparative Law Blog
With the provincial elections coming up, the Dutch Legislature this week discussed another important and long discussed topic in Dutch politics. The Dutch parliament for the second time reads the bill that would make judicial constitutional review in the Netherlands possible with regard to certain named constitutional provisions detailing constitutional rights. A bill first introduced by former Second Chamber member Halsema in 2002.Read more
- American Society of Comparative Law
- Associazione Italiana di Diritto Comparato
- British Association of Comparative law
- The British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Center for International and Comparative Law - Univeristy of Baltimore School of Law
- Centre de Droit et de Politique Comparés Jean-Claude Escarras
- Le Centre Français de Droit Comparé
- Comparative and Foreign Law
- Comparative Law by Paul Norman
- Deutsch-französisches Doktorandenkolleg zur Rechtsvergleichung im öffentlichen Recht
- Groupement de Droit Comparé
- Institut de droit comparé Édouard Lambert
- Institut Suisse de Droit Comparé
- The Institute of Comparative Law (ICL)
- Institute of Foreign and Comparative Law
- Instituto de Derecho Público Comparado
- International Academy of Comparative law
- Irish Society of Comparative Law
- Legal & Judicial Systems in Countries Around the World - 2009
- Melbourne Law School Centre for Comparative Constitutional Studies
- Netherlands Comparative Law Association
- Québec Society of Comparative Law
- The Rights International Research Guide for International Human Rights Lawyers
- Société de Législation Comparée