RSS

Zorgvliet

  • Building a ‘Temple for Peace’ the Choice of the Site

    Building a ‘Temple for Peace’: the Choice of the Site

    November 8, 2013

    The Treaty for the Pacific Settlement of International Disputes, concluded on 29 July 1899, determined that the newly created Permanent Court of Arbitration was to be established at The Hague. As Andrew Carnegie’s gift of 1903 was meant primarily for the erection of a new and appealing court house and library to serve its arbiters, there could be no argument, as to where this ‘Temple for Peace’ was to be built. It should be at The Hague. But where in The Hague precisely was quite another thing.

    Read more